These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Audit Sampling Project

Executive Summary

Sampling can be a difficult and tedious task for auditors performing an independent audit of financial statements. Oftentimes the process of choosing a random sample and checking the values can become biased as auditors have to make the selections themselves. Using an excel spreadsheet and visual basic for applications, I have automated the process of choosing a random sample, comparing the amounts with audited values, and ultimately recommending an opinion on the account being audited.


As an auditor for the Utah state auditors and for Deloitte, I could’ve used a program that automated this process in a completely unbiased way. While the solution I have provided is a simpler example, the same process could be used for more complicated sampling procedures. In this write-up, I will attempt to explain the basics of a sampling procedure, how my solution will be implemented to make sampling easier, and what I learned by going through this project. I hope to be able to use what I have learned to help me when I start with Deloitte full-time in September. 

David Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive