These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Aaron Hunt Final Project Executive Summary


Executive Summary
I wrote a couple of different programs for Discover Financial Services. Most popularly known for the credit card side of the business, I work in the Student Loans and Personal Loans side. I saw inefficiencies in many different areas of the business, so I decided to use some of the VBA skills that I learned to solve them.
I started by creating a file that would calculate the dates needed in order to process a forbearance on the student loans. The person in charge of this was fairly slow with math, and tended to mess up when placing the dates. So I wrote a file that would find two of the dates for her, which saved close to two hours per week.
I then found that letters were being created with an excel merge file, but there were many defects found in multiple letters. I created an excel file that would take the data input and reorganize it and format it to the correct style and then merge into the word document. This decreased defects from 2% to zero.
I found that audits needed to be built for many different products. Since we already had a lot of the information being reported on a daily report I decided to use if then statements to systemically audit 85% of the process for one of the products that received a detailed report daily. I also created a report that would determine the passing rate of each account as well as the total per the team. While improving the file for the audit I decided to create a separate tab that would sort out the different accounts worked by different people to make it easier to evaluate each person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive