These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Thursday, December 8, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Executive Summary:

The most important organization that I am a part of is my family, so if there are ways that I can use my VBA skills to improve things for my family, I’m very interested in finding those opportunities.  My wife and I were married almost three-and-a-half years ago and we have since added a son (now 2 ½ years old) and a daughter (now 7 months old).  With all the work I end up having to do in the MBA program, my wife does the vast majority of the dinner-cooking in our family.  She has told me on a number of occasions that she enjoys cooking—the part she doesn’t enjoy is deciding what to cook (to be honest, I’m not that good at deciding that either).  So to help make dinner organization a better experience, I created a meal planning application.
The Excel workbook I’ve created basically houses a list of recipe titles and the needed ingredients for that recipe.  The code I’ve put into it allows the user to add recipes to that list, edit recipes that are in the list, and delete recipes from the list.  On command, it will create a meal list of variable length from the list of recipes that can be put together randomly or using a variety of constraints to determine what meals go where.  The user can decide what entries on the meal plan they would like to keep and they then have the option to re-randomize the remaining recipes until the schedule is to their liking.  Finally, the user can have the program take the chosen meal plan and create a shopping list of all the necessary ingredients based on the recipes on the list.  The user can print out both the shopping list and the meal plan schedule.

•http://files.gove.net/shares/files/11w/kmj37/Keith_Jones_VBA_Final_Project_Write-Up.pdf
•http://files.gove.net/shares/files/11w/kmj37/Keith_Jones_VBA_Meal_Planner_File.xlsm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive