These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Friday, December 9, 2011

Comparing Health Insurance Rates

Executive Summary

Every business needs to be aware of what their competitors are doing in order to maintain their competitive advantage. Health insurance is no different. As I am working as an actuary for SelectHealth, the largest health insurer in Utah, one of my tasks is to help determine the premium rates. The rates given to large and small employers vary greatly based on a large variety of factors and is not easy to compare. However the base rates for individual policies is determined mainly based on gender and age. In the past to compare our rates with those of Regence I have had to manually enter in an age and different number of dependents into their website and then enter the rates into excel. The goal of this project was to automate excel so that it would enter in the birthdates and genders for me and gather the rates much faster than I was able to, thus leaving me with more time to work on other areas of my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive