These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Executive Summary: Genealogy Worksheet

Problem

One evening, several months ago, my grandparents called me and asked me to help them configure the new computer they had recently purchased. I was surprised when they asked me to show them how to turn the computer on. Upon learning this, I felt that further inquisition into the extent of their computer skills was needed. I discovered, much to my chagrin, that they had purchased the computer in order to do their genealogy, but they had no idea how to do a simple internet search. As I continued to talk with them about their experience and that of their friends, I realized that there is large market that desires to do genealogical research but lacks the technical skill to do so.

Solution

In order to solve this problem I decided to create a spreadsheet that even the most computer-illiterate could use. This spreadsheet was built with simplicity and ease of use being the chief design characteristics. It allows the user to type their name and download their family history into excel with the push of a button.


http://files.gove.net/shares/files/10f/beck6/Final_Project_ISYS.xlsm

http://files.gove.net/shares/files/10f/beck6/Isys_520_Write_Up.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive