These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Benjamin Olson, Bank Access and Bill Pay

1. Executive Summary
1.1 The Problem
Alpine Credit Union is a great institution for my families banking needs. However, for some reason my wife
doesn't regularly check our account balances. She frequently asks me what they are looking like, but that
generally requires me to stop doing my homework, log into our accounts and sit down with her to go through
our monthly expenses. I generally want to go through a much more in depth look into our nances than she
does. Also, neither me nor my wife have a checkbook, yet we have a few monthly expenses that we would
rather not pay in cash. My wife is frequently uses excel at her job, so she is comfortable with navigating
through several Excel sheets.


1.2 The Solution
With one click of the mouse, this Excel Spreadsheet can greatly reduce both our anxieties of going through
our nances and taking care of our monthly expenses. One button accesses our bank accounts (recognizing
both our passwords and extra security questions) and downloads the nancial information for our checking,
savings, credit card, and debit card accounts. Then it creates a summary page including our top 10 credit
card expenses, our assets, liabilities, and net cash available. Also, with another button it logs into our bill
pay account and opens to the exact page to start the payment process. This spreadsheet is meant to give
us a " nance at a glance" view of our nancial situation. This spreadsheet only saves probably 5-6 minutes,
however, it's ability to put me and my wife on the same nancial page is worth much more.


Excel File for Project
Write up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive