These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easycache - a time saving tool for Geocaching.com - Garrett Barnum, Winter 2010

Geocaching is an activity where participants use Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to hide and seek containers (called “geocaches” or “caches”) at specific GPS coordinates anywhere in the world. The caches are generally hidden in public outdoor locations in small (film canister size) to medium (ammo box, Tupperware, or up to the size of a 5 gallon bucket) size containers. Geocaching.com is a website where you can look up the coordinates of caches and then log your visit after you have found it.

In order to speed up the process of geocaching for me (and my impatient children), I have created a time saving spreadsheet tool for the Geocaching.com website, called Easycache. The Easycache tool performs the following:

1. Automatically logs in and logs out of Geocaching.com

2. Collects the critical geocache information for a list of caches you provide

3. Presents the data in a concise format for you to print and take with you on your geocache hunt

4. Automatically logs your “finds” into the website for all the caches you find

Easycache reduces the time I spend on the computer, gathering information about the geocaches I want to find, and give me more time doing the fun part – actually searching for the geocaches! There are over 1 million caches hidden around the world, so I need all the time saving help I can get.

My Project Report is here.

My Excel File is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive