These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Josh Caplin VBA Final Project

Since 2005, I have kept record of my finances in an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet started simply as a checking register (like people use to keep in their checkbooks). Over time, as I have learned more about Excel, I have expanded functionality of the spreadsheet to budgetize and monitor expenses and help me plan for long-term cash needs while in school. As I have gotten busier with school and work, it has been more difficult for me to continue to track my finances, while at the same time, it has become more essential for my wife and I to budget and track our income and expenses (we’re on a tighter budget!).

For my VBA project, I created functionality and an interface that would allow my wife to do 90% of finances without having to know how to use Excel (because she doesn’t much about using). The functionality also makes the budgeting process easier to understand and thus easier for her to do. The project has also added new reporting functionality to allow us to search for and summarize transactions in new worksheets and identify transactions that have not been included in tracking the budget.

The project file can be found at ftp://gove.net/JoshCaplin/MONEY.xlsm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive